Friday 8 July 2011

I wish that we could talk about it

-
'And it keeps coming, and it keeps coming, and it keeps coming... until the day it stops.'
-
There is something about the interpretation of this LCD Soundsystem song that just cuts me down, every-single-time. Emotions, associations and memories, to the song itself of course (when I left the big house, years ago now, early morning, this was my soundtrack as I walked to the railway station in the glinting sun with a stuffed sports bag over my shoulder for company) but, also, it's the sheer talent and skill that is on display here that is just breathtaking (thank-you, Andrew). It's all picking, fingering, tapping and bowing of the cello and the useful employment of some fancy technology as well; the building up of sounds, layers and loops and then their eventual downfall. There are no spoken words involved this time around, they are just not needed, as you find yourself mouthing the words anyway. 'The coffee isn't even bitter'. I love that part. It seems to matter the most these days. Not so long ago it used to be 'I miss the way we used to argue'. But the truth is, I just don't anymore. Those days have been and gone.
-
Andrew Carter - 'Someone Great' (LCD Soundsystem cover, Cello instrumental) (6.43)
-
Go visit Andrew. See him play, loop and play again. One to watch. And the original, of course.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment