Friday 1 July 2011

A monopoly on the legitimate use of violence

-
I know, it's not very amusing, really, but the more I read Weber (let alone Marx!) and, in particular, the more I listen to a band like McCarthy, the less I understand how we actually put up with what we put up with in terms of the socio-economic world we are forced to endure and play a small part in. In other words, yes, I am having a slight crisis of political (not musical) faith and I'll be taking a wee break from this rather bourgeois indulgence to consider my material options and focus on the things that matter most. And by that I don't mean the forthcoming public sector revolution (shame on fucking you Miliband; what your Dad would have made of it all I can't even guess). Or do I mean that public revolution? No, I think I have to mean a more personal revolution, one involving the people; the good souls. Well, that and possibly, if the news arrives, trying to find another job (along with two and half million other people forming a winding line around the revamped dole office).
-
McCarthy - 'Governing takes brains' (4.16)
-
One for the weekend. Storm those barricades, comrades.
-
PS. Speechless. Open mouthed. I don't know about you, but this song has just blown me apart into a million different pieces. The Horrors are taking it beyond a question of mere 'progression' or 'levels'. They are now wholesome giants in a minature, scaled-down world. And we are better for this transformation, absolutely.
-

2 comments:

  1. I tried with the Weber lecture, I really did. I must be at an age where, if there's no dramatic tension or a car chase by the second paragraph, my though process starts to wander and I decide that the Horrors are but a Bunnymen covers band...

    Wonderful to hear the McCarthy track though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. :) Weber can do that to us all, fair call, and there tends to be few car crashes leaping off the page. As for The Horrors. Well, perhaps. But, admit it, they cover so well! And that song is very addictive, or so my iTunes account tells me... Will go and see them play later in the year, for sure.

    ReplyDelete